Popular Posts

Thursday 2 June 2011

Pan Pipes Conspiracy Theory

I was on the bus this morning when two punters got on and started playing the pan pipes. They opened with The Sound of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel), and finished with (they only played two bits of music) El Condor Pasa (that song by Simon & Garfunkel which begins, "I'd rather be a hammer than a nail," although I have only just found out that that's the actual title). This got me thinking.

I've been in South America for about 4 years, and I've heard the pan pipes played in lots of different countries/locations, but I've never heard anyone play anything except Simon & Garfunkel stuff. To be more specific - I don't remember hearing anything other than these two songs. Taking this into consideration, the question is:

Which came first - the pan pipes or Simon and Garfunkel (that's getting fucking tedious - S&G is easier)?

According to some bloke on the internet, the pan pipes were invented about 6,000 years ago, whereas S&G have only been about for 50 odd years. Chronologically, there's a bit of a discrepency. So what is the connection between the two?

For me, there can only be one possible answer... these songs were actually composed by the ancient Peruvians. Then the songs fell into disuse, only to be discovered on manuscripts by S&G when on a trip to South America. However, this doesn't explain why modern pan pipes buskers (PPBs) don't play other classic, ancient Peruvian numbers such as, Cecilia, Hazy Shade of Winter, or Mrs Robinson.

Come on, PPBs. Pull your fucking fingers out, and give us the full repertoire!

No comments: